Posted by staceabase
Let’s face it;
sometimes you just.don’t.want.to.go.
You know- to the gym.
The thought of changing your clothes, tying your shoes, putting your hair in a ponytail, driving/walking to the building… it’s all too much. And sitting on your couch watching the latest episode of Real Housewives seems way easier and probably more fun.
I recently suffered a “don’t-want-to-go” day. The weather is changing, and it’s borderline perfect for outdoor activity/must go back indoors to work out. What’s a person to do?
When I get into a rut, I try a few different things to get unstuck:
- Change into gym clothes as soon as I get home. No in-between sweats. Straight for the real stuff.
- Pick a time you’re going to leave. And then STICK to it. No excuses, even if it means setting an alarm. Sometimes I’ll plan for a time that will get me there just in time to tune into a favorite show.
- Switch up your routine. Do you always run on the treadmill for 1/2 hour regardless? Maybe you need to add a little biking, weight lifting, or even some intervals to the mix. You can really go on a ledge and take a class (Zumba is one of my favorites) or join intramural team or even try your hand at the rock wall.
- Call a friend and make a gym date. If you cannot go at the same time, just let them know when you’re going to keep each other accountable.
- Get some new music and save it for the gym.
- Psych yourself up! Dance around the house as you are leaving for the gym. It’s time to CELEBRATE GOOD HEALTH!
- … and finally, remember how good you feel after you finish a workout. If you go with a friend, end with a high five. ESPECIALLY on the toughest days. Every bit of effort is something! (Full disclosure: on more than one instance I’ve been tempted to run around and high five people at the gym who look like they would like to be anywhere else but at the gym. So if I ever run up to you with my hand in the air, you know why.)
As the weather gets colder, it’ll get easier and easier to talk yourself out of a workout. Start your mental training TODAY by developing an exciting routine; and keep it fun, fresh, and full of HIGH FIVES!
Posted on September 30, 2013, in Emotional, Environmental, Physical, Social and tagged cold weather, exercise, get to the gym, healthy, high fives, mindset, motivation, routine, stuck, working out. Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.