Daily Archives: July 11, 2012
Posted by staceabase
Do you ever get so lost in your own thoughts that when you “come to” you struggle to put the pieces together, like how much time has passed, maybe how far you’ve ventured from home, how you could’ve possibly missed the ringing of your phone?
This happens to me. A lot. It’s almost always brought on by the same things:
exercise + good music + nature.
I swear I go into a trance.
I was out on the Greenway one day and actually jumped as a person passed me in the other lane. I was thinking about life, about love, about people… and all of a sudden a girl jogged past me and my rollerblades literally left the pavement.
Oh- Hello there, Reality!
Sometimes life sucks. It just does. You do really bad on a test, your car breaks down, your hair won’t work, you sleep through a big meeting, you get into a fight with a loved one, your morning coffee is now down the front of your shirt, you lose your pet… the rain just won’t seem to quit!
In those moments, I get a choice. In those moments, I have become totally and completely aware of the choice I get to make. This awareness has resulted mainly because of a 16+ year food battle.
1. I can eat my way through the emotions. I can quiet those voices that used to tell me it was the only way and listen to the ones that tell me I’m worth so much more than an entire package of cookies and the guilt that ensues.
2. I can explode on some unlucky recipient because it just becomes too much to hold in. “I SAID NO ONIONS ON MY SANDWICH, HOW DARE YOU?!” Ridiculous… right?!
3. I can lace up my shoes, grab my iPod, and cover some ground. (My family jokes that I am the “philosopher” of the bunch- I love quotes and emotions and talking and people.) I’ve discovered that my Greenway visits fill my soul like nothing else. There have been times when I’ve walked for over 4 hours without even realizing it- just thinking about life. When I return home, almost Army crawling because my legs have had it, I feel refreshed (and usually really thirsty)!
Whether it’s walking, running, rollerblading, biking, lifting weights, playing tennis, shooting some hoops, joining a kickboxing class, or whatever else gets you up and off the couch and clearing the clouds out of your mind… Just do it. Trust me. You’ll feel so much better mentally, physically, and emotionally when you finish; the best kind of therapy.
Posted by und7d
Take a Culinary Corner class this summer:
- Cookin’ with the Kiddos (July 10th, 17th, 24th, and 31st at 6pm)
- Protein 101: (July 12th, 19th and 26th at 6pm).
Learn more by clicking HERE!
POST-SURVEY FOR WORK WELL WEBSITE:
Andrea Chaput, a College of Nursing student is helping Work Well this summer to update resources available on the Work Well website that relate to the 7 dimensions of wellness (physical, social, emotional, spiritual, environmental, occupational and intellectual) for staff and faculty.
Prior to taking this survey, please review wellness tips and updates made to the website. Then, help us by completing this voluntary post-assessment of your knowledge of campus and community resources. Your answers are confidential and the data collected will not be shared with the public, only used by Work Well to update resources. Please complete the survey by Monday, July 16, 2012.
REMINDER ABOUT VOUCHERS FOR HEALTHY BLUE POINTS
- VOUCHERS: Please submit any vouchers by August 15th, 2012. This is for attending Work Well events that were offered between July 1, 2011-June 30th, 2012. Your maximum of points of 1,000 will be downloaded into your HealthyBlue account by November 1,2012. You will need to redeem your points for prizes or gift cards by December 31st, 2012. It is a Use-it-or-Lose-it System. If you don’t know how many points you earned through Work Well or need vouchers sent, you can contact us at: 701-777-0210 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have a great Tennis Shoe Tuesday! If you think it is too hot to walk outside, don’t skip it, just fit in a 10 minute walk by going back and forth to a drinking fountain. That way you can hydrate too!