Dr. Robert H. Boyd Healthy UND Champion Award nominations sought
Nominations for the Dr. Robert H. Boyd Healthy UND Champion Award are being solicited and are due no later than 4:30 p.m. Monday, April 30. The award will be presented at the Annual Healthy UND Coalition meeting in the fall.
The Dr. Robert H. Boyd Healthy UND Champion Award is named in recognition of a true champion of health and wellness at UND. Its purpose is to recognize the achievements of individuals, departments, or groups who have worked to improve the health and wellness of students, faculty, and staff by enhancing awareness, building skills, changing social norms, and creating a healthier environment.
Background: In October of 2000, then-President Charles Kupchella officially launched the Healthy UND Coalition and charged Vice President for Student and Outreach Services Robert Boyd with its organizational oversight. From 2000 to his retirement in 2011, Boyd championed the expansion of health and wellness programs, services, and facilities that directly benefited the campus community. He was an advocate for the University’s efforts to focus on the seven dimensions of wellness.
On Aug. 26, 2010 the Dr. Robert Boyd Healthy UND Champion Award was launched with the presentation of the award to Dr. Boyd at the 10 year anniversary celebration of the Healthy UND Coalition.
At the 2011 Healthy UND Annual meeting, Kim Ruliffson, UND’s Worksite Wellness coordinator, was the second recipient of the award. Kim is known to go above and beyond her job duties to find a creative, sustainable, and effective way to encourage a healthier lifestyle among UND staff and faculty, bringing out the best in UND employees. Kim has partnered with many different companies including the American Heart Association, Blue Cross Blue Shield, NDPERS, and the CEO Roundtable on Cancer to ensure that UND employees have the best care and resources available to live a healthier life.
To nominate an individual, group, or department you feel is a Healthy UND Champion, please address the following criteria. Please limit your nomination to no more than three pages.
- Explain how the individual, department or group contributes to healthier UND students, faculty, and/or staff.
- Tell us about the significance of the impact that the individual, department, or group is making on the campus community. Expand your response to address the sustainability and effectiveness of the impact.
- Describe the partnerships that the individual, department or group has developed to promote healthy lifestyle choices by enhancing awareness, building skills, changing social norms, and creating a healthier environment.
- Which of the seven dimensions of wellness has the individual, department or group emphasized? Physical, emotional, social, spiritual, occupational, intellectual, and environmental.
Letters of nomination should be directed to the Health and Wellness Resource Office, Memorial Union, room 149, 2109 University Ave, Stop 8262, Grand Forks, ND 58202 – 8262. They may also be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions, please contact the Health and Wellness Resource Office at 777-2097
– Bethany Brandvold, Health and Wellness Resource Office, 777-2097, email@example.com.